Well, hello there, toys and ghouls! Elvira seems to be, uhm… a little tied up at the moment, so I'll be filling in. But don't fret, darlings. I don't think you'll be disappointed. 😉
If you like what I'm wearing it's:
MadPea Shadow Seekers Poster: Some ghosts linger. Others hunt back.
Join MadPea's Shadow Seekers: The Ghost Files, a paranormal grid-wide adventure from October 3rd - November 1st.
As a Shadow Seeker, you'll track supernatural manifestations across the grid, earn Shadow Points and rise through the ranks to unlock classified Ghost Files: terrifying cases where the spirits are very real, highly aggressive and deadly.
Your mission is simple:
Find the haunting. Photograph the ghost. Survive.
Join our free group MadPeas for more info!
In trying to find the ghost and survive, I found myself here.
The fortune-teller gazed into the crystal ball as tendrils of mist curled around a vision only she could see.
“Extraordinary...” she whispered. “I see luck finding you when you least expect it. Love arriving from the most unexpected directions. Prosperity beyond what you once thought possible. Doors opening. Old chains falling away. A future full of possibilities you haven't even dared to imagine!”
For a moment, I was enthralled, trying to imagine how any of that could possibly happen from where I now sat.
Then came the catch. She was still trying to smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.
“Of course, such blessings never come without a price.”
The mist inside the crystal darkened, and my already black heart began to sink.
“To claim the life awaiting you, you must face what frightens you most. Not run from it. Not bury it. Not dress it up in clever words and pretend it no longer matters.”
I considered this briefly as I slowly rose, wondering whether it was worth staying to hear the rest. Fortune was all well and good, but a sense of déjà vu without ever any payoff crept over me, and I had precisely zero fucks left to give.
“Wait!” the fortune-teller called, suddenly less mysterious and considerably more desperate. “There is relief! I can see it! Beyond the fear lies freedom. Beyond the darkness, a life you no longer have to fight to survive. You need only conquer what holds you back.”
I barely registered the rest of her words as her voice faded into the background.
What a load of absolute crap.
The fortune-teller's predictions were still rattling around in my head when I heard piano music drifting through the fog.
It wasn't particularly eerie. Quite the opposite, really. A soft, wandering melody, played with the sort of absent-minded grace that made me wonder whether someone was nearby, entertaining themselves.
Curiosity got the better of me.
I followed the music to a little dock beneath a collection of weeping willows. Their branches hung low over the water, swaying gently in the mist. Tiny sparks of magic floated through the air, catching the light like fragments of fallen stars. A purple fishing rod rested nearby, apparently waiting for someone with considerably more patience than I possessed.
A boat rocked quietly against the dock.
Well, why not?
After the fortune-teller's cheerful little prediction that I would have to confront my deepest fears, a peaceful boat ride seemed like a perfectly reasonable alternative.
I climbed aboard and settled in, letting the gentle motion of the water lull me into a rare moment of doing absolutely nothing.
The piano continued somewhere in the distance.
The willows whispered overhead. The little sparks drifted lazily past, indifferent to my existence. Nothing demanded an explanation from me. Nothing expected me to prove anything.
For once, I could simply sit there and enjoy the quiet.
I remember thinking that perhaps the fortune-teller had got it wrong. Perhaps there wasn't some grand, terrifying price attached to every good thing after all.
The boat rocked.
The music softened.
And somewhere between one drifting thought and the next, I must have closed my eyes.
I don't remember falling asleep.
I only remember how peaceful everything had seemed before I let my guard down.
When I opened my eyes, the gentle rocking of the boat was gone. So was the piano music.
I found myself standing before a magical well, its dark waters shimmering with an otherworldly light. The mist curled around its stone edges, and tiny vines of majik drank from it. It was beautiful, in its own peculiar way.
Naturally, I leaned forward to peer into its depth.
My reflection stared back at me from the abyss. For a moment, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Just me, peering into the water, trying to make sense of wherever I'd ended up.
Then a chill crept down my spine.
There was something unsettling about seeing myself on the other side of that oil-slick surface, its opalescence shimmering with bruised violets and abyssal greens. It felt less like looking into a wishing well and more like standing at the threshold of somewhere I wasn't meant to enter. I couldn't shake the feeling that the reflection was somehow farther away than it should have been.
Then I heard it.
A sound carried through the fog from somewhere beyond the trees. Low, distant, and difficult to identify—but decidedly unpleasant. Whatever had made it didn't sound particularly interested in keeping the peace.
I straightened and listened.
Silence.
For a moment, I considered returning to the boat and pretending I'd heard nothing. It had been a lovely little excursion, after all. Perhaps I could find the piano again and resume my carefully scheduled program of doing absolutely nothing while waiting for this shadow ghost whatever.
Then the sound came again with whispers.
Closer this time.
I glanced back at the well. My reflection waited beneath the surface, surrounded by drifting lights, as though it knew something I didn't.
Suddenly, I wasn't quite so interested in what lay on the other side.
I was considerably more interested in finding out what was coming from THIS side.
The whispers were no longer coming from one direction. They seeped through the fog, threading between the trees until I couldn't tell where they began or ended.
Then something hollow and hungry moved along the horizon.
I caught a glimpse of it between the trees. The air seemed to thicken; even the drifting lights kept their distance. It moved with a deliberate, unnatural grace, as though the shadows belonged to it.
I should have run. Instead, I found myself strangely drawn to it. There was something almost alluring in its menace, and I hated how badly I wanted another look. Every instinct warned me to stay away, yet curiosity held me still.
Then the whispers rose, taking on a quality almost like innocence.
Whatever it was, it had found me—and for an infinite moment, I was frozen in place, a deer caught in headlights.
If you like what I'm wearing it's:
- [TNK] LEGION MASK - BURN METAL [BAG]
- [Avatar Planet] - Bat - Black - modified for blue-black, & courtesy of Bixyl 🙂
I don't remember deciding to stop splitting.
Somewhere between the fear and the fury, something inside me changed. The hesitation fell away. The instinct to flee became an appetite for the chase, and whatever fragile distinction remained between myself and the darkness began to dissolve.
Perhaps this was the natural self I'd spent so long keeping at bay.
I stopped asking the shadows for permission.
Mounted upon Aetherbane, I rode into the heart of the nightmare. My skeletal steed moved like a creature born of the grave itself, carrying me through a landscape that seemed to unravel beneath our passage. The rules of ordinary life no longer applied. Mercy became a distant language. Conquest was the only conversation worth having.
I took what I wanted. I broke what resisted me. I left ruin in my wake, surrendering to the terrible freedom of no longer pretending to be something gentler than I felt.
The battle that followed was magnificent in all the wrong ways.
Soul met soul. Shadow reflected and devoured reflected shadow. Crimson light burst across the darkness as the air filled with the shrieks of things that should never have lived. I wasn't sure at this point who siphoned who, drawing remaining essence into the churning void around me or within me. Every victory fed the next. Every fallen adversary seemed to make the darkness more familiar, more intimate.
I had become so thoroughly immersed in it that I could no longer tell whether I was commanding the shadows or whether they were commanding me.
And then, at last, there was only one hardcore badass of both sides left.
The skeletal figure stood before me, its strength visibly failing. Aetherbane came to a halt. Horse and rider stared down at the defeated creature as it sank toward the earth, its remaining power unraveling into wisps of nothing.
I waited for the familiar rush of triumph.
It never came.
Something about the figure seemed strangely diminished now, its once-terrible presence reduced to a hollow shell. It wasn't merely defeated. It was withering, as though whatever had sustained it had finally inverted.
I couldn't understand why.
I had fought it with everything I possessed because it wanted to fight. I had become more ruthless, more relentless, more completely consumed by the very darkness that had frightened me.
And still, it was the thing at my feet that was disappearing.
I looked down at my hands, then back at the ruined figure. I felt no different. No wiser. No more enlightened. I had no grand revelation to explain what had happened, no sudden voice whispering the meaning of it all.
Only the silence after battle, and the unsettling suspicion that something had changed without permission.
Aetherbane shifted beneath me.
The shadows settled.
And the last of my adversary's strength seemed to have disappeared into the ground.
I had won.
So why did I now feel hollow?
The answer didn't come as another blow. It came as a thought.
Somewhere in the final moments of the battle, the figure had changed its tactics. The accusations no longer came from the darkness around me. They came from somewhere closer, slipping into my thoughts until I could no longer distinguish what belonged to the creature from what belonged to me.
Every fallen shadow became another question. Every strike, another reason to wonder whether I had gone too far. The more I tried to make sense of the battle, the heavier something settled inside me.
Guilt.
I had entered the fight believing I was confronting something terrible. Now I found myself wondering whether the terrible thing had been me all along.
The skeletal figure at my feet continued to wither, its outline dissolving into the earth. For a moment, I thought I had finally finished it.
Then I noticed the absence of a body.
No remains. No final breath. No evidence that anything had truly died.
Just the awful realization that I might have mistaken the end of the battle for the end of the threat.
The darkness folded in on itself, and the world slipped away.
If you like what I'm wearing it's:
- My regular humanoid stuff
- =ED= OCTOBER TARGET BOW -2025 S&H GIFT [=]
- +{ Sweetheart Succubus Outfit }+ {Aii}
- Rose Pasties
- A&A Web Heel Spikes (boxed)
- Aetherbane - severely modded & tinted
- ABADDON ARTS - Dragon Wings [Teegle Pegasus] - tinted & alpha-ed
- {EP} Breaker's Blade- Skeleton (add to auto-unpack) - tinted
- {EP} Styx Metals Edition - Navy (add to auto-unpack) - tinted
It was magnificent. Chandeliers glittered overhead, mirrors stretched along the walls, and the polished floor reflected every glimmer of light. The room looked prepared for a grand celebration.
But there was nobody there.
No crowd waiting to witness my triumph. No cheering, no recognition, no one to tell me that the fight had been worth it.
Nothing but an enormous, empty room and the strange hollowness I had brought into it.
I had fought like a monster, survived like a warrior, and emerged believing I had conquered something that wanted me destroyed.
Yet here I stood, unable to feel the slightest pride in any of it.
I searched the mirrors for the masked figure.
At first, I saw only myself.
Then, somewhere behind my reflection, something shifted.
It wasn't dead.
And the guilt I had mistaken for my own had been the trick all along!
If you like what I'm wearing it's:
By the time I reached the shore, I couldn't tell whether I had escaped the nightmare or simply run out of places to hide.
I sat cross-legged at the water's edge, watching lightning crackle across the shoreline. Beyond it, the water opened into sunshine, where a boat was already sailing away.
For a while, I just watched it go.
I had fought. I had conquered. I had survived what seemed determined to destroy me. Yet none of it had brought me the peace I'd expected. The guilt was still there, the emptiness still lingering, and somewhere in the back of my mind I could almost feel that familiar presence waiting for another opportunity.
Then I noticed a little bird caught between the storm and the boat.
It needed to find its way toward safety, but the distance seemed enormous, and the boat was moving farther away. I wondered how frightening it must be to know where you want to go without knowing how to get there.
Perhaps that's what had frightened me all along.
Not the darkness itself, but the possibility that I might never find my way out of it.
I stared across the water, feeling very small against the vastness of the horizon. For once, I had no battle plan, no weapon to raise, no opponent I could blame for the way I felt.
I couldn't fight my way into the sunshine.
And I couldn't make the boat turn around simply by wishing hard enough.
Maybe, I thought, it was time to stop treating every difficult passage as something I had to conquer alone.
Just when I'd resigned myself to sitting there until the storm passed, a rather unlikely vessel appeared on the horizon.
Its captain seemed entirely untroubled by the weather, the darkness, or the fact that I looked like someone who had recently lost an argument with the universe.
There was room aboard.
No interrogation. No demand that I explain myself. No requirement that I prove I deserved the passage.
Just an offer to come along.
I hesitated at first, but then accepted.
For the first time in what felt like an eternity, I wasn't trying to outrun anything. I was simply letting someone else help me along the way.
The storm hadn't magically disappeared. But I no longer had to face the crossing entirely on my own.
The journey hadn't given me all the answers. I still didn't know what the mask wanted, why the guilt had followed me, or whether the shadow syphons would ever stop appearing when I least expected them.
But I'd begun to understand something.
I didn't have to solve every mystery before I was allowed to live my life.
Sometimes, the next step isn't another battle. Sometimes, it's finding people who understand that life can get complicated, that our feelings don't always make sense, and that being heard can matter just as much as finding a solution.
Circle Mental Health offered a place to start.
I wasn't surrendering my independence or handing someone else the reins. I was simply opening another door—and allowing for the possibility that there might be something worthwhile on the other side.
After all, even the arcane could occasionally use a little healthy energy blending.
If you like what I'm wearing it's:
Such an awesome opportunity for creativity—I hope everyone enjoyed my little spooky Halloween fantasy adventure inspired by Circle Mental Health and World Mental Health Day!
Thanks for reading! Feel free to share your thoughts or some pictures of your own in the comments below. And, of course, we can always chat about it next time we see each other at the Circle!
^🖤^










No comments:
Post a Comment